Happy Diwali 2008!

DC001 (NOT FOR SALE)




For the first time in my life, I have finally designed a Deepavali card this year hehehe.....it's not that big in size, just an A6 size card. Start small as they say hehehe......I chose the oil lamp as the main motif for the card......which is the symbol of light over darkness. I love the card for it's colours, sequins and it's simplicity I suppose......but the colour sure does attracts the eye. I chose those colours because they remind me of the fabrics from the Indian traditional clothes. I've seen some that uses these colour combinations before.....and I love them :). The background of the card does look like the patterns on fabrics....especially with the sequins on them....and the gold dots represents the beads.....most traditional Indian dresses incorporates lots of sequins and beads on them....so I guess I was inspired by them when designing a card for Deepavali.....

"Deep"/ "Dip" means "light of the dharma", and "avali" means "a continuous line". The more literal translation is "rows of clay lamps". Deepavali or Diwali is a major colourful festival for all Indians around the world.....and it is also a very signigficant festival for all believers of Hinduism, Sikhism and Jainism. It is also commonly called as the "Festival of Light". The lights or lamps marks the triumph of good over evil....and the victory of light over darkness.

4 comments:

Grace to You said...

WOW, Lin, this card is GORGEOUS!!

Azlina Abdul said...

Thanks Sandi!!! :) I just love the colours....

CC said...

I LOVE this card! So happy & bright! And I'm really glad you included the explanation of the festival. You are "enlightening" all of us! :)
Hugs,
CC

Azlina Abdul said...

Love it too dear! I'm glad I found out about the festival as well....as I needed some "enlightening" about it too hehehe! I believe we all should learn about other cultures and their beliefs so that we can better understand one another :). And I know you love to learn about it too, right sweetie? :)

Featured Post

How to make two tone tear drop shape quilling flowers

We are coming close to mid February and I'm blogging about something that I did last January! LOL! It's been a month sin...